Instagram is a great platform for posting pictures and always being in contact with your friends. But unfortunately being the number 1 app we can imagine that this great online platform will have some cons. One of them is that among the 1 billion+ users Instagram has not everyone is a nice person that installed this app for the benefits that we mentioned before.
These people download the app only so they could comment rude things on someone else’s pictures that they could ruin someone’s day and make them feel bad for no apparent reason.
You might also like to read: How to add music to an Instagram story
When we get mean/ rude comments in real life then we tend and try to forget it and not talk about it, but when this happens on the biggest platform it’s a different story. So the question is how can you forget a mean comment that is online for everyone to see? Well, you can delete it and just forget about it as if nothing happened. Furthermore, you will learn how to do just that.
How to delete a comment on Instagram
Deleting a comment on Instagram is actually one of the easiest things that you will learn and a good thing about it is that you don’t even have to block ( report or anything ) that user. Follow the steps below to delete someone’s comment
- Swipe left on the comment.
- Tap the trash can icon and you are done!
If you also want to delete your comment but it is on another user’s profile that maybe you didn’t mean to send it ( or any other reason ) then you can follow the same two steps to delete it.
How to hide comments on Instagram
If you receive a mean comment ( or any other comment ) that you would like to remove from your page you can simply delete it and leave it at that. But what if you receive these comments every time no matter what your post is about? Well if this starts happening continuously then you can turn all these comments off with just 7 simple steps so let’s go through them:
- Navigate to your Instagram profile and tap the three horizontal lines.
- Click Settings.
- Next, click Privacy.
- Click Comments.
- Toggle on “Hide Offensive Comments.”
- You can also toggle on “Manual Filter,” which will allow you to choose specific words ( phrases ) that will trigger Instagram to hide a comment.
- Additionally, on this page, you can choose to block comments from certain people. This is different from blocking an account altogether, as they can still view your photos but the comments they leave on your photo will only be visible to them.
What follows after you delete a comment on Instagram?
When you delete a comment on Instagram nothing special really happens the comment just simply disappears without notifying the user that you deleted their comment. The only way they can tell that their comment was deleted is if they go back to the post and they can’t find their comment.
Although you have to be careful and keep in mind that when you delete a comment there is no way that you can return it back, so think twice before you try and delete a comment so that you won’t have second thoughts after.
How to hide Instagram comments from someone without blocking them
In 2019 Instagram had released a new feature where you could hide comments from certain users without them knowing. It is an excellent way to protect someone from online bullying (cyberbullying), or maybe someone you don’t know that keeps commenting crepy things on your post. Whatever the reason may be here is how you can hide someone’s comments without them knowing:
- First, you need to navigate to the comment of the person that you want to restrict.
- Swipe left on the comment.
- Tap the “!” icon.
- Lastly, tap Restrict in the pop-up menu, and you are done.
What happens when you hide an Instagram comment?
When someone you have restricted leaves a comment on your post, it will only be visible to you and the person who left the comment. You’ll see a shaded comment under the post. If you click on the comment, you will be able to read it and then choose whether to make it visible in your Instagram feed or not.
Can you comment privately on Instagram?
Let’s say you want to comment on something on someone’s profile but you would prefer if other people wouldn’t be able to see it, would that be possible? Well not really when you comment on a user’s profile then your comment will be public for everyone to see, and yes even if the user’s profile is private all of their followers will be able to tell who commented on their post and what did they comment. If you don’t want anyone to see what you want to comment then you could think of sending that picture/ video to that user as a message. Follow the steps below to continue
- Visit the Instagram post you want to comment on.
- Tap the message icon ( which looks like a paper airplane ).
- In the search bar, type the name of the account that created the post.
- When the account name auto-populates, tap the circle next to it so that a checkmark appears.
- Tap your message in the space provided.
- And lastly, tap send.
How can you deal with Negative comments on Instagram?
If you are starting to get more negative comments on your posts than positive whether they are inappropriate, negative, spam, etc… then they are a few steps that you can do in order to prevent them.
1. Auto-Hide Offensive Comments
Fortunately, Instagram offers a great privacy feature that will automatically hide comments that you don’t want to get. Whether it is on your post, live, or story, it won’t matter because once you turn on this feature you won’t have to always look if you received any unwanted comments on your profile. How to turn this feature on:
- First, go to your profile which is in the top right corner so that you can access the side menu.
- Then go to settings> Privacy and under the “Interactions” sections select “Comments.
- Under “filters” you will see “Hide offensive comments” turn that on and you are done.
2. Set Filters To Hide Certain Words & Phrases
You can hide certain words or phrases on your profile that you no longer want to be able to get on your profile then you set up this feature and you are done. The phrases/words that you select to automatically hide from your profile won’t be seen anymore on your comment section. Only the user who commented and their friend list will be able to see the comment (The user also won’t get a notification about the hidden comment ) How to set this filter:
- Tap your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap Settings in the top left.
- Click Privacy and Security, then tap Edit CommentSettings.
- Enter specific words, phrases, numbers, or even emojis in the text box to filter out comments, and then click Submit. …
- Tap Submit.
3. Disable/Turn Off Comments On Your Instagram
Another way is to turn off the whole comment section on your posts before you even share your post. When you turn off your comment section then no matter what the comment is about then they won’t be able to post it.
When you are ready to share the post on Instagram and only need to put on a caption then at the end of the screen you will click “Advanced settings.
Then turn click on “Turn off commenting”.
Go to Posts > All Posts (or Pages > All Pages)
- Locate the post or page you want to enable/disable comments on.
- Hover over its title to bring up the action menu and click on Quick Edit.
- Check or uncheck ‘Allow Comments‘ then click on Update.
Another thing that you can do besides the ones mentioned above?
Respond– If you decide to respond you should keep in mind that you should always be polite ( You shouldn’t respond to an insult using another insult, be polite regardless of the nature of the negative comment ).
These were just a few ways that can help you even with the littlest bit of negative comments if you are receiving a lot on a daily basis. We are really happy to share them with anyone who needs them ( or is trying to take action ) but we hope that no one has to use them. But even if you do, do not take it too seriously because it is not the end of the word, rather a pretty normal thing.